The long, hot summer days are coming to an end. As wonderful as it’s been to gorge on juicy fruits and sweet, luscious berries, it’s time to savor the flavors of fall. Pumpkin patches. Cranberry bogs. Vegetable stands awash in squash. Fresh fall harvests are in full swing. Turn the seasonal bounty into a slice of heaven with these three all-time-favorite quick bread recipes.
One-Pan Pumpkin Bread
(recipe from BettyCrocker.com)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 45-55 minutes
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup canned pumpkin
2-1/3 cups Bisquick™ Original baking mix
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (or raisins, if you prefer)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Generously grease bottom only of 9×5 loaf pan.
- Stir all ingredients except nuts in pan with fork until moistened; beat vigorously for 1 minute. Stir in nuts.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes.
- Run knife or metal spatula around sides of loaf to loosen; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Orange-Zesty Cranberry Bread with Orange Glaze
(recipe from food.com)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
2 oranges, zest of, divided
2 cups cranberries, fresh
1⁄4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1⁄2 cup orange juice (made from frozen orange juice concentrate)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 oranges, juice of
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 9×5 loaf pan, set aside.
- Zest 2 oranges into small bowl, set aside. Juice the same 2 oranges into separate small bowl, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt; stir in cranberries and 1 tablespoon orange zest, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar, then add egg and combine.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate and 1/2 cup orange juice (made from frozen orange juice concentrate).
- Add flour mixture and beat until just moistened. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 minutes or until the bread springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool.
To make orange glaze:
- Mix powdered sugar with remaining orange zest and gradually stir in 1-2 tablespoons orange juice (freshly squeezed from 2 oranges) until you have reached your desired consistency. After bread has cooled, drizzle glaze over top.
Chocolate Wave Zucchini Bread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
1/3 cup shortening
1-1/3 cups white sugar
1-1/2 cups grated zucchini
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar together. Mix in eggs. Add zucchini, water and vanilla; stir.
- Blend in flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in nuts.
- Divide batter in half, and add cocoa powder and chocolate chips to one of the halves. Pour plain batter into bottom of the loaf pan. Pour chocolate batter on top of plain batter.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes, and remove from pan. Store in refrigerator.
Tip: Why overspend at Starbucks when you can wash down your quick bread with a homemade pumpkin spice latte?
Have a tried-and-true fall or holiday recipe? Please feel free to share it with us!