In the spirit of World Health Day, feel the encouragement to focus on your health. What we learn today can serve as a foundation to be mindful of our health every day. Below are some ideas to help you and your family get on track.
Make sure you get adequate, restorative sleep. Here are some ways to achieve that.
Is your mattress sagging? Have you had it more than eight years? If “yes” is the answer to either question, it may be time for a new mattress. Get ready to explore the wide world of mattresses. Discover how different mattresses like memory foam, hybrid, wrapped coil and innerspring offer different benefits that may impact your health.
- Look for mattresses that will conform to your body. They provide proper spinal alignment and soothing relief for pressure points.
- Mattresses with gel memory foam help you achieve optimal sleep temperature for a restorative sleep.
- Suggested mattress brands include: Ashley-Sleep®, Beautyrest®, Sealy® and Tempur-Pedic®.
Is your pillow more than a year old? If so, it’s time to get a new one for proper head, neck and shoulder alignment.
- Pillows with dual sides (available at Ashley HomeStore) are perfect for all sleep positions because each side offers a different level of support: firm or soft.
- Maximize comfort with a pillow you can customize yourself by removing or adding inserts. The Ashley 3-in-1 pillow gives you that flexibility.
Your body needs proper nutrition to keep organs and tissues working effectively, while warding off infections, tiredness and disease. Getting a majority of your calories from fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and lean proteins is easier than you think.
- Healthy meal recipes are a click away. If you’re on a tight schedule look online for recipes that are quick and easy. Start with salads, smoothies, yogurt, vegetables, fruit, stir fries and more.
- Try foods that are low in unnecessary fats and sugars but high in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
- If there are foods you can’t eat, consider vitamin supplements.
Incorporate physical activity into your day and you’ll notice a boost in energy, muscle strength and endurance. Even short bursts of activity, like going for a walk, will result in health benefits.
- Get a step counter or pedometer. Most people overestimate how active they are. Using a pedometer or step counter will show you the numbers. You’ll feel a sense of accomplishment as you gradually increase the number of steps you take each day.
- If you suffer from chronic pain, you may benefit from swimming. This activity is not only fun, but the workout is incredible. Since the water makes this exercise less weight bearing, strain is lifted from joints.
- To build muscles and endurance, start strength training. Make sure you learn proper form and get directions before you begin lifting weights. You can start with light weights then gradually add heavier ones over time.
ENJOY PEACE OF MIND
Being healthful is not only about physical health, but it’s also about emotional health. Here are some ways to boost your mood whether you’re indoors or outside.
- What you surround yourself with can certainly impact your health. Surround yourself with beauty, including beautiful scents. Light a candle and relax.
- Focus on the positive. How you think of yourself relates to how you feel overall. Speak and think in words that epitomize self-worth and tap into positive energy.
- Being helpful builds self-esteem, so do things for other people. You feel valued for what you can do.
- Find time for recreational activities. Enjoy fresh air. Take in nature. Go to the beach. Go on a hike. It will give you a whole new perspective.
If you have recently found a helpful way to improve your health, please share your input below. We are in this together.