Do you have rooms that need a little love? Part of the joy of furnishing a room is adding a personal touch. Since we all have different tastes, you can’t take a cookie cutter approach to home decorating. Here are three helpful steps.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What is important to me?
- How and where do I spend my time?
- What are my hobbies?
- Who am I with most?
- What do I collect?
- What are my favorite places, music, books, movies and food?
Apply what you’ve learned.
For example, if you have “beach” listed as one of your favorite places, check around your home for keepsakes like shells that you may have picked up or photos you took. These will serve as your inspiration and can be incorporated into the decor.
- Souvenirs: Display on shelves, mantels or in glass accent boxes.
- Photos: Frame a variety of images and sizes and create a personal photo gallery.
Other inspirational ideas include:
- Antiques: Displaying tokens of the past connect you with the stories of your ancestors and are excellent conversation starters.
- Art: Find and display paintings, sculptures, canvas art, tapestries, photos, even clocks–anything that resonates with you. If it was made by you or a loved one, even better!
- Models: Show your love for a hobby or sport by staging boats, cars, airplanes stadiums and more.
- Walls: Give the room a fresh coat of paint or wallpaper incorporating colors that reflect your personality and style.
Decide where they go.
Now that you’ve gathered your items, decide where to place them. Consider each room and find the areas where you can add a personal touch.
This room’s possibilities feed off the types of furniture and wall space you have. Stage decorative items on open shelves or in china cabinets. Hang art, like this time piece collection on the wall above a buffet or server.
Here’s your chance to show off your personal treasures. Add built-in shelves, curios or bookcases to accommodate these items. A shelf behind the sofa is perfect for displaying a hand-built model.
Add a console table along a wall or behind a sofa to hold conversation pieces, like a stylish lamp, favorite books, pictures and more. Hang wall art throughout the room.
Adorn an end table with picture frames or an electronic photo frame loaded with your favorite photos.
In this gathering spot where memories are made, the focus is on recreation and entertainment. A huge wall unit, entertainment center or book shelf provides an empty canvas where favorite objects can be displayed.
An office does not need to look boring. Here’s an example Inspired by the timeless appeal of American classic furnishings. The Townser home office desk revisits tradition in style. Credenzas and desk hutches also provide ample space for displays.
Dressers offer a valuable top shelf for displaying personal treasures. Add as many as you need to create personalized space. Add wall art with special wording above the headboard and it will all come together.
Up to a challenge? Get bedroom furniture with storage and display space show off their treasures. Use wall art or some of their own art to add character to the room.
Rooms filled with your personality are naturally more meaningful and appealing. If you have ideas for adding meaning, we’d love to hear them in the comments section.