Football season is upon us, and from September 6th to October 13th, you can enter for a chance to win the Ashley x Big Green Egg: Ultimate Homegating Sweepstakes! One grand prize winner will take home a XLarge Big Green Egg Modular Nest Package and $2,500 in outdoor Ashley product. In addition, two runner-up winners will receive a Large Big Green Egg in an intEGGrated nest plus handler and $1,000 in outdoor Ashley product.
“So, What is Homegating?”
In an era of romanticizing time at home, “homegating” empowers you to bring the game day tailgating experience to the comfort of your own space. Gather friends, family, your favorite appetizers, drinks and a comfy seat to cultivate your ultimate homegating setup. Time for kick-off? Ashley has you covered with style forward outdoor furniture so you can effortlessly create and host the own ultimate homegating experience!
About Big Green Egg
Big Green Egg was introduced in 1974 as the original ceramic grill for outdoor cooking. The Big Green Egg and its accessories cultivate “The Ultimate Cooking Experience,” functioning as a grill, smoker, and oven. Not only does the grill offer versatility, this way of cooking is also fuel efficient and built to last!
Grilling on the Big Green Egg
Game day recipes on the Big Green Egg are endless. Looking for a spin on traditional sports food? Ashley found the BEST vegetarian recipes for all your hosting needs. Shannon Morgan – @biggreeneggfoodie – shares the delicious recipes that she makes on her Big Green Egg grill – check out these and more, below! Happy “Homegating!”
Grilled Veggie & Orzo Salad
This orzo salad is terrific served, cold, hot or at room temperature. It is a light meal or can be made more filling if served with grilled chicken or salmon.
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, diced
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled & sliced
- 1-pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 oz package feta cheese
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 15-20 stalks of fresh asparagus
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 TBS Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat your grill to medium/high heat. Prepare your veggies: Cut the pepper in quarters, remove the seeds and stem. Remove the woody stems from the asparagus. Peel the onion, cut into ½ inch thick slices, discarding the root end.
- Assemble your dressing: combine the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, thyme, salt & pepper to taste in a small bowl and whisk.
- Grill the veggies over direct heat for about 12-15 minutes flipping halfway through until they have softened and have some char.* Remove from the grill.
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions.
- Chop the asparagus, onion & peppers into bite size pieces. Combine the grilled veggies, halved tomatoes, orzo and dressing into a mixing bowl and stir.
- Portion the lettuce onto 6 plates, top with the orzo mixture, sprinkle with crumbled feta and sliced avocado. Serve immediately.
*PRO TIP-Place the stem ends of your asparagus towards the hotter part of your grill and the more delicate tips towards a cooler portion of your grill to avoid burning them.
Grilled Vegetable & Hummus Pita Pizza
These pita pizzas are quick to come together once the veggies are prepared and make for a terrific appetizer or light meal and pair well with a glass of iced tea or pinot grigio.
- 1 package of 6 pita breads or flatbreads
- 1 8 oz package of your favorite hummus
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese or feta*
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 small/med red onion
- 1 thin Japanese eggplant
- 15-20 black olives*
- 8-10 sprigs of fresh thyme, stems removed
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning to taste
- Heat your grill to medium/high heat. Prepare your veggies: Cut the pepper in quarters, remove the seeds and stem. Small dice the tomatoes. Peel the onion, cut into ½ inch thick slices, discarding the root end. Slice the cucumber into thin slices and then into quarters. Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch slices. Halve the olives.
- Grill the pepper, onion & eggplant over direct heat for about 9-15 minutes flipping halfway through until they have softened and have some char. Remove from the grill.
- Chop the onion & peppers into bite size pieces. Depending on the size of the eggplant, you may want to cut the slices in half.
- Warm the pita bread on the grill. This should take just a minute or two per side.
- Spread the hummus on the warmed pita breads. Add the toppings to the pita breads, using more or less, as desired. Sprinkle with cheese, fresh thyme, and Everything But the Bagel Seasoning.
- Serve immediately.
*If your olives are in brine vs oil, keep in mind that using feta might be a bit salty. Adjust accordingly.