Boo! Can you believe that spooky season is already right around the corner? When the weather starts to feel cool and the days get a little shorter, it’s prime time to pick pumpkins, hike the sunny trails, and refresh everything from your outfits to interior decorations. It’s also time to plan your costume and make a party plan if you want to host a Halloween bash this fall.
Throwing a Halloween party is extra enjoyable when you have the right games and decorations to set the scary mood. What Halloween decorations do you need to create the right atmosphere for a thrilling party? Check out these 2022 Halloween party ideas for decorations, games, and more!
2022 Halloween Party Ideas & Decor
This year, you have the opportunity to create the party you’ve always wanted. If you wish to stick to traditional party ideas or do something new and creative, you’ll find everything you need to fulfill your wishes at Ashley. But before you can decorate, you need to decide on a theme. This will help you focus your energy on one concept and get all the decorations to tie everything together.
Fun Halloween Party Themes
A clear-cut theme is a must when you want to give everyone a good time. This doesn’t mean you have to exhaust yourself with the planning. Your theme can be simple and casual or more detail-oriented—it’s all up to what your heart wants! Here are some great themes to explore.
- Murder Mystery Party: Spice up your party with a personalized murder mystery event package! Murder mystery party services take the guesswork out of throwing an incredible event while you sit back and relax! This turns an average gathering into something your guests will remember forever. These services send hosts to you, so you don’t have to facilitate any of the action. However, if you want a more economical option, there are plenty of virtual and DIY options that you can find with a quick online search.
- Spooky Movie Night: If low-key comfort is your thing, invite everyone over with their coziest Halloween pajamas. Pick an age-appropriate Halloween movie, leave out some snacks and drinks, and the rest is on autopilot!
- Pumpkin Carving Party: This family-friendly theme is perfect for a mixed-age group. All you need are pumpkins, multiple sets of carving tools, and stations for everyone to get to work. You may ask your guests to bring their own pumpkin if they prefer, but have extras available to those who come without one. At the end of the party, light the jack-o-lanterns as the sun sets and get some lovely photos!
- An Adult 1920s Mixer: If your party is for adults only, you can create a spooky Roaring 20s party so everyone can have fun choosing a period-piece costume. Let your guests know a few weeks in advance, so they have enough time to find something cute to wear! To ensure everyone enjoys libations and hors d’oeuvres at your place, get enough barware and seating for the number of guests on your list.
When you send out the Halloween party invitations, it’s best to keep them on theme. For example, your pumpkin party invitation should have a few pumpkins on it so everyone gets a good idea of what to expect.
Best Halloween 2022 Party Decorations
The best Halloween party decorations match your desired theme. For instance, a spooky movie party should include the colors, artwork, and table decor that complement the movie’s aesthetics. There are also plenty of traditional mainstays. You can use practically any of these Halloween party concepts to fill in empty spaces. Here are some of the best traditional pieces that you could use to make your party more spooky.
- Halloween Lanterns: When you want to complete any room and give it some excellent low lighting to boot, our selection of Halloween lanterns and candle holders will flesh out any room. If you’re concerned about fire safety and young ones, battery-powered LED lights make a great alternative to candles. Themed string LED lights like little skeletons or pumpkins are also excellent choices!
- Pumpkins & Jack-o’-Lanterns: Whether you’re carving your own pumpkin or just adding some decorative gourds around the house, nothing says Halloween like the sight of pumpkins.
- Cobwebs with Spiders: These are cheap and easy decorations to throw around anything from chairs to bookshelves. Cobwebs made of stretched-out cotton cling well to upholstery, while miniature plastic spiders easily latch on to the web for a chic but quick party decoration. They also look great when stretched across the ceiling or front door.
- Happy Halloween Banners: Bring on the Halloween spirit with a couple of “Happy Halloween” banners on the walls. It’s an easy way to add a little extra to any empty wall, walkway, or small corner.
- Photo Op Backdrop: If you plan on throwing a themed party, make sure everyone gets to commemorate the moment by taking a selfie in front of a themed photo backdrop. These are more fun with props, so include a small basket of them to make their poses even more special.
Spooky Food & Game Ideas
No Halloween-themed party is complete without snacks! Once everything is ready for the festivities, it’s time to get cooking. These treats are easy to make and eat, which is excellent for mixing and mingling.
Spider Web Taco Dip
This recipe from Palatable Pastime is going to be a big hit. You won’t have any leftovers when combining the best of spooky decorations with the rich taste of guacamole and other Southwestern flavors.
- 16-ounce can of regular or low-sodium refried beans
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- guacamole: (1 ripe avocado, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a pinch of garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe black olives
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 green onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- A plastic squirt bottle
- plastic spider ring (optional; decoration only)
- warm tortilla chips
- Stir together the refried beans, taco seasoning, and taco sauce; warm the beans up.
- Spread beans on the bottom of a pie plate.
- Mash the avocado and stir it together with lime juice, salt, and garlic powder.
- Spread the guacamole over the top of the beans.
- Mix the sour cream with enough milk to make it thin and easy to come out of the squirt bottle.
- Draw a spider web on the top of the guacamole with the sour cream.
- Sprinkle olives, cheese, tomato, and green onion around the edges.
- Place the spider in the center for decoration.
- Serve taco dip with warm tortilla chips.
Halloween Party Games
And finally, don’t forget to bring on the Halloween party games! Depending on your age group, you may be just fine with the Murder Mystery Night, or you may want to have an informal gathering with quick and simple games like witch ring toss or a skeleton scavenger hunt. Older kids and adults also love a decent pumpkin carving competition, apple bobbing, or a spooky board game. By tailoring your party games to the theme, you can complete the mood you’ve been aiming for.
Home Decor for Halloween
At Ashley, you can find a wide range of decorations that will suit your taste. Whether you need Halloween throw pillows and blankets to enjoy all season long, outdoor decorations for your trick-or-treaters, indoor decorations for your party, wall signs, or even spooky black indoor plants, it’s all here. Every one of our decorations has unmatched quality and is made to last, so you can enjoy them at your party, pack them away, and bring them back out next year for another fantastic monster mash.
Share all of your exciting Halloween decor by tagging us on social with the hashtag #MyAshleyHome. We can’t wait to see your games, costumes, and tricked-out rooms!