Perhaps you recently swapped out your old bedding for a fresh set. Maybe you’ve tossed a few new throw pillows on your bed. And yet, it still feels as if your bedroom looks old and outdated.
When your bedroom needs a quick facelift, swapping out your headboard can be the perfect solution. A headboard rests behind your mattress and acts as a central focal point of the room. The best part about updating your bedroom with a new headboard is that installing a new headboard is simple. Within a matter of minutes, you can transform the look and feel of your space.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to install a headboard, including some quick tips on the best way to install each type of headboard. Get ready to upgrade your bedroom.
How Does a Headboard Stay in Place?
Before you tackle your headboard installation project, it can be helpful to understand how a headboard stays in place. There are a few key styles of headboards, and each type is secured into place through a different method:
- Wall-mounted headboards: Wall-mounted headboards are secured directly to the wall. These headboards use brackets or anchors to attach to the wall, which makes them compatible with almost any type of bed frame.
- Bed frame-mounted headboards: This style of headboard attaches directly to your bed frame rather than the wall. They usually come as part of a bed frame set.
- Freestanding headboards: Finally, some headboards are designed to stand up on their own. These headboards can be placed directly behind your bed frame. They can be attached to the frame or wall but often feature feet or stabilizers that allow them to stand on their own.
How to Attach a Headboard to a Bed Frame
If you purchased a bed frame-mounted headboard, your next step is to learn how to attach a headboard to a bed frame. The good news is that attaching a headboard to a bed frame is fairly simple, and usually, your headboard will come equipped with all the components you need for installation.
Use these steps for attaching a headboard to a bed frame to get started:
- Make sure your headboard is compatible with your bed frame. Generally, you’ll buy these components together as a set. However, you can swap out a headboard if it has the same dimensions and mounting components as your existing headboard.
- Set up your bed frame first. Pull the bed away from the wall.
- Line up your headboard with the bed frame. You want to ensure that the headboard brackets line up with the holes on the bed frame legs.
- With everything lined up — you might need the help of a friend to hold the headboard in place — use the fastener that was included with the headboard to secure the headboard. Usually, your headboard will come with a washer, bolt, and nut. You’ll slide the washer onto your bolt and place the bolt through the headboard bracket hole and bed frame leg hole. Then, you’ll tighten the nut onto the bolt.
- Repeat these steps for all included brackets.
How to Attach a Headboard to a Wall
Wall-mounted headboards are a popular option for many, as they can be used with almost any bedframe and size of bed. You can easily swap these out for a new one as designs change without worrying about matching the headboard to your bed frame.
To attach a headboard to a wall, use these steps to get started:
- Decide where you want to hang your headboard. Move your bed around to ensure the place you pick is where you prefer to have the head of your bed.
- Check for supports in the wall. It is important to ensure that the place you secure your headboard is capable of handling the weight. Usually, you’ll want to use a stud finder to locate studs in your wall.
- Mark the spots where you will be securing the headboard to your wall. The number of spots you secure your headboard to will depend on the headboard you purchased. Always consult with the specific installation instructions included with your hardware and headboard.
- Install the anchors in the marked positions.
- Hang your headboard on the anchor points. Check to make sure it is completely secure before moving your bed back into place.
Headboard Installation Tips
Installing a new headboard is a fantastic way to quickly transform your bedroom. As you install a new headboard, keep these important headboard installation tips in mind:
- Always read the installation instructions included with your headboard. Each headboard is a little different, and the recommendations for installation will vary. Make sure you read through the included instructions thoroughly.
- Gather your tools before you start. Usually, you’ll need a wrench to secure the headboard. Your installation instructions should provide you with a list of necessary tools.
- Ask a friend for help. While you can install a headboard on your own, it is much easier with the help of a friend. This can also put less strain on your back as you lift the headboard into place.
- Think about the space you have. When choosing between headboards, consider how much room you have and how permanent you want the installation to be. For renters, a headboard that attaches to a bedframe is a better fit than a wall mount. However, a wall mount is a great pick when you want to create a sleeker, slimmer profile.
Headboards You Can Easily Swap to Upgrade a Room
If you’ve wondered, “Can I change the headboard of my bed?” The answer is: absolutely! It should be noted that certain headboards are easier to swap than others.
A wall-mount headboard is one of the easiest to swap out. You can change this style of headboard anytime you want, as it doesn’t need to match the size of your bed frame.
Freestanding headboards are also extremely easy to swap out. Since they don’t attach to the wall or the frame of your bed, they are simple to interchange.
Finally, though headboards that mount to a bed frame are more difficult to swap, it is possible to find one that matches the size and style of your existing bed frame. Many simple bed frame styles are compatible with multiple headboards.
Invite New Style Into Your Bedroom
If your bedroom is in need of a refresh, shop Ashley for new beds and bed frames. Choose from trendy bedroom furniture sets and find a headboard that will transform your space. With Ashley, it’s easy to design a bedroom that is warm, inviting and a reflection of your own personal style. Start shopping today for a whole new look.